Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Wednesday, March 13, 2013


When You Get Caught Between the Moon and Comet Pan-STARRS


Last night a friend and I took these pictures from Pukalani. We used my Canon SX130, but there was a certain amount of...collaboration.


The Moon and Comet Pan-STARRS from Pukalani
March 12, 2013

(Click to embiggen.)

It's been cloudy here for days, ever since the comet moved north. It was cloudy when I got to work yesterday, and I figured we were out of luck, but the clouds dissipated around sunset, and there it was!

Here is an "arty" shot, taken just before it set.



The Moon and Comet Pan-STARRS from Pukalani
March 12, 2013

Comets are fun! I'm going to try again tonight, maybe use my film camera. It won't be so easy to spot tonight, because the moon's not near. I know now that you have to wait until it's good and dark.