Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Tuesday, June 05, 2012


There's a Little Black Spot on the Sun Today


Transit of Venus today. Here's a big pile of info. This post will be updated, if possible, with bad photos.

UPDATE 23:08 UTC: Here's another NASA site, with what looks like more info. They're doing a live webcast from Mauna Kea, where it's clear. Clear on Haleakala too. Here's a link for pictures from there. It's not quite so live (that I can see).

It was cloudy when I got up, then it started to clear, then it clouded up again. A few minutes ago the sun peeped out for about 30s. "Tag! You're it!" It does this to me all the time. Usually it's clear on the south coast, but it looks a bit cloudy right now. If I must I'll drive down there later.

AFTER ACTION REPORT: OK! This post should be subtitled "The Triumph of the Will," because the pictures represent the triumph of obstinancy over equipment, skill, and Nature. Just after 3pm local time I decided that the clouds were not going to part anytime soon, and it was time for a road trip. It was sprinkling when I left. Drove down to the beach. When I opened the car door the wind nearly ripped my arm off. Well, this will be fun.

But I managed to find a sheltered spot and got some decent pictures, considering. First, here is an illustration of my sophisticated astrophotographic technique:

Kibitzer Cat is optional.



The expensive filter there was a solar viewer given out for free by the U. of Hawaii. No eyes were harmed in the making of these pictures, because the camera doesn't have a viewfinder, only the LCD display (I mutter about that a lot), so the only risk is to the camera's sensor. The chief difficulty with this technique is that I couldn't see what I was doing 90% of the time. The glare on the screen was brighter than the filtered image of the sun (as you can gather by the reflection there). It was only when the sun began to set that the angle was such that I could actually see what was going on. Of course, most of the time nothing was going on, due to clouds.

Here's the photo I took down at the beach:

Transit of Venus, June 5, 2012



Venus, a pimple on the face of the sun! We also see our friends the sunspots from yesterday. (Click for bigger images.)

After a while I figured I'd done enough there, and it was time to come home. It takes me about 40 minutes to drive home, and it was hot and sunny the entire way. It was sunny when I got home. It was, however, cloudy by the time (about five minutes later!) I got the tripod set up again. The clouds didn't clear off again until the transit was nearly over:

This way to the egress!
Transit of Venus during egress, June 5, 2012



The sun looks a bit mottled and bilious because this was shot through thin fog. Yes, Venus is the little notch in the sun's lower right. I had hoped to be able to show you several phases of the transit, but c'est l'astronomie. I was lucky to be able to see it at all.

And, as the sun sinks slowly in the west, that concludes our broadcast day.

Sunset, June 5, 2012

Labels: