Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Saturday, February 27, 2010


Sleepblogging the Apocalypse



Apocalypse scheduled for just after 2100 Zulu, but I have to go to bed now. I've set the alarm to wake me so I can watch it. There may be photos (er, much later). Updates as they happen.

22:05Z: ITEOTWAWKI, and I'm out of film. Fortunately, TEOTWAWKI has been delayed long enough for me to slip in another roll. And delayed long enough for me to get some "before" pictures of the devastation. And delayed long enough for me to get really flipping bored.

I was listening to a radio station which had live reports from listeners. "Hi. I'm calling from Wailuku Heights, and there's nothing going on." "Hi, I'm calling from Kihei, and I'm drunk off my ass." Etc.

In the last few minutes or so they've been saying that the water in Hilo Bay, on the Big Island (where the tsunami would hit first), receded by about one and a half feet, then advanced, then receded.

At this point I've lost 90 minutes' sleep, and I'm thinking the apocalypse can carry on without me, because I gotta work tonight.

I did, however, see whale spouts in Maalaea Bay, so that was cool.