Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Friday, November 13, 2009


Foto Friday: Krakatoa, West of Kihei


Run! The volcanos are revolting! Oh, wait, that joke doesn't work.

Sunset from Kihei, Maui, Feb 2009



Fortunately, neither do the volcanos. According to the USGS, the last time that end of Maui erupted was 385,000 years ago. (As opposed to 400 years for Haleakala.) I'm sure it's just lulling us into a false sense of security. You can't trust volcanos.

This picture was taken from the rocky, smelly, seaweedy beaches of North Kihei. Nice sunsets, though.

And now, thanks to the miracle of Google Maps, I can show you a street view of the location:


Ta da!

Cross S. Kihei Rd. (first commending your soul to God, because you're likely to get run over) and enter through the little gate. That's a public shore access.

Continue down the little path until you come to the knee-breaking descent onto the beach. Try not to fall into the canal.

Just look at that sky! Look at that gorgeous weather! It makes me want to move to Maui. Oh, wait... My point is, that's an unusually beautiful day, even for Maui. No haze, no vog, no cane smoke.

Such is my deep and abiding love for my two or three readers that I spent hours, I mean fricking hours, trying to embed that damned view. I finally had to steal the essential piece of the code from a better blogger (cough) Lileks(cough).

There's not much of Maui covered so far, although one of my co-workers said he saw the Google car upcountry. Soon, you won't need me to show you Maui (sniff). On second thought...the Google car didn't take that picture of the sunset.

UPDATE: No, there was not an embarrassing typo in the title. You didn't see that.

Labels: , ,