Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Friday, May 15, 2009


Foto Friday: Memorial


Vancouver Memorial, Kihei, Maui, Nov. 2008Vancouver Memorial
Kihei, Maui, Nov. 2008


Hmm, I suppose this should have gone next week, but I didn't think of it until it was too late. Oh well.

This is a memorial to George Vancouver, who visited Maui in the years 1792-1794. Why this rather handmade memorial was put up in (I believe) 1960, I don't know. The roundish thing in the center is a beehive-shaped plinth made of concrete and dark rocks, with a memorial inscription inscribed in the wet concrete with a finger, or possibly a stick. I keep meaning to write it down, but it's hard to read in some places. To either side of it are totem poles. They make a nice silhouette agains the sunset.

Here you can find a picture of one of the poles in broad daylight (scroll down a bit). I can never haul myself out of bed early enough to get morning shots.

Labels: ,