Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Friday, February 06, 2009


Foto Friday: On the Rocks


This is not the bestest picture in the world, but it isn't a rainbow OR a sunset, so it's different.

Rocks at Ho'okipa, Maui, July 4, 2008Rocks at Ho'okipa, Maui, July 4, 2008


If you can believe Wikipedia, Ho'okipa is one of the premier windsurfing sites in the world. There were windsurfers that day, and I have pictures, which I'll get to eventually. They're really not that great. The waves weren't doing much.

I like the colors in the image, especially the red dirt. The polarizer works surprisingly well on dirt.

I don't really like people in my pictures, and often people do not care at all to be photographed. So I tend to be kind of diffident, retreating behind a tree or something so as not to intrude, or to get an angle that will block out the people (although that's not always possible, as we see here, or here).

I've found that gives the pictures kind of a creepy look, as if there's something frightening about the subject (see, e.g., here, where the menace is undercut by the buildings looming in the background).

Anyhow, there's a suggestion of that here. For some reason that wooden fence scares me a little. Looks like it might be a good place for a suicide/murder, and subsequent haunting.

Of course the tourists gawking all over it detract from that mood. I'll try again, maybe on a day which is not a major holiday.

Or maybe, for full creepiness, it has to be in black and white.

Labels: ,