Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Friday, April 04, 2008


Foto Friday: It's Baaaaack


Hi, I'm back. Didja miss me? No, huh?

Anyhow, here's a Foto Friday. If you didn't see it on Friday, it's because I forgot to remove the stealth pixel paint. Yeah.

Anyhow, here 'tis. I don't have a good idea of how it looks, compared to previous efforts, since I don't have the big Samsung monitor (which I used exclusively before) hooked up, and am using only the laptop screen. So I hope I haven't over-tweaked.

The Blue Mountains, Australia, July 2002


Here's an interactive web cam of the Blue Mountains, although I couldn't get it to work. And here are some more photographs. I am very generous in linking to this site, since his pictures are far better than mine (be sure and check out the other two Blue Mountains galleries there, as well as galleries of other places around Australia).

This was taken on my last full day in Australia. Due to incredible stupidity on my part, I didn't get around to seeing this particular sight until then. It was winter; I should've gone in spring and summer and fall, to see the changes. But I was more interested in sitting around and moping. (In my defense, I didn't have a car then.)

Now I live in a photo-rich environment, and I must guard against the inclination to mope.

The Blue Mountains are just west of Sydney. There's a bit of history here. The Blue Mountains supposedly get their name from the haze of eucalyptus oil droplets. However, some note that mountains (or anything else) at a distance tend to look blue and hazy (cf. the Blue Ridge Mountains, which contain negligible amounts of eucalyptus oil).

When I was a child I read this fairytale, in which a man goes to great lengths to find the Blue Mountains. The "Blue Mountains" sounded so beautiful and romantic, I wanted to find them too.

Labels: ,