Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Wednesday, December 19, 2007


Say My Name, Say My Name


Via the Flea, who is hopping over The Hobbit, I find that my hobbit name is: Daisy Sackville-Baggins. I assume that would be Daisy Mae of the low-rent branch of the Sackville-Bagginses, who live in that awful caravan park near Rushock Bog. They always have discarded ale casks and broken wheels piled up around their wagons. Disgraceful!

I have an elvish name, too: Idril Ringëril. Much prettier, but it sounds like two drug names ("Ask your doctor if Ringëril is right for you").

Now, see, here I was thinking, Hmmm, did elves have two names? I thought it was just one. And comes the answer, from the FAQ page:

Q: Didn't you know that in the Tolkein-verse Elves don't have two names? I mean sometimes they do, but you've mixed up the Quenya and Sindarin dialects and besides I'm somewhat sure the author specified that a diaresis always occurs in an elven word that ends with the letter 'e'...(trails off)

A: Ah. I see. Yes, yes. I understand. How ...good... of you to catch that. *backs away slowly, dials police*

Oh, no, really. No need. I'm going now.

(And it's Tolkien -- i before e. Barbarian!)