Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Friday, May 11, 2007


Foto Friday: Iao! Needle!


Iao Needle, Maui, Sep. 2003Iao Needle, Maui
Sep. 2003


It's hard to get a good picture of this object, since the site is often overcast, and the top of the Needle sometimes hidden in cloud. I think I went back on three different days, and wasn't able to get a sunny photo. Apparently I was supposed to "get there early for the best view." I did not know that.

This isn't the best of the pictures I got, but it is the best from this angle. This fellow had somewhat better luck from a different perspective.

Down the road from the Needle is the Kepaniwai Heritage Garden, sort of a paen to multiculturalism. There are buildings and statues representing the various ethnic groups that live in Hawaii. The Japanese gardens are lovely. The Portuguese have what ought to be a nice little arbor, but it was pretty scraggly-looking when I was there.

Nearby are the Tropical Gardens of Maui, a little commercial garden. They sell plants, but for a fee you can wander around the gardens and see many interesting flowers and whatnot. If you go, take bug spray. It was very dark under there, but I managed to get a couple nice flower pictures, including one of the rare black[1] bat flower, which I will post some day.

(Hmm. I see the place is for sale. Sadly, I do not have that much in my piggy bank.)

[1]OK, I don't know how rare it is, but doesn't "rare black bat flower" sound cool? Yes.


Labels: ,