Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Wednesday, March 14, 2007


Ashes to Ashes, Stardust to Dust


The fact that I'm posting this means I'm really bored, and desperate for something to post. I also think I stole this title, but I can't remember from where.

Today Lileks displays a postcard (scroll down) of the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas, which was demolished yesterday (nice pictures at that link). I have a postcard from a different era:


There's no date on this card (it's unused), but there's a space on the back for a six cent stamp, which marks it as being made during 1971-1974. The cars in the lot are from that era, too.

You can see that the planet sign Lileks admired so much is gone, and the top of the building has been redone as well. (And the cars in his postcard are much, much cooler.)

I also have a postcard of the show:


Giant plumed bird-women are popular in these shows. Why?

This card was sent in 1963.

One day, if I get energetic, I'll tell you about my trip to Vegas, and contrast it with those whiners over at Alien Corn. (My trip featured aliens, but no corn that I can remember.)

Labels: