Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Saturday, January 11, 2003


The Twelve Days of Sparky



Thinking about the kind of dough I dropped on my beloved old car, I got into a kind of "Twelve Days of Christmas" rhythm. So here are the Twelve Days of Sparky. You know the drill.

On the ___ day of Christmas, my Sparky cost me:

Twelve thousand dollars[*]
Eleven gallons of coolant
Ten bleeding knuckles
Nine mechanics laughing
Eight fuel injectors
Seven jump starts
Six thermostats
Five piston rings[**]
Four bald tires
Three windshields
Two radiators
And an engine rebuilt completely

[*]The approximate price of the car, new, give or take a grand. That was a lot for a car in those days. As I said, money was less of a problem then.

[**] OK, it was only a four cylinder engine. My artistic license is paid up. Nyeah.